When you’re learning to be alone, you should watch Jerry McGuire and Beauty and The Beast. You should source a steady playlist of empowering songs(Beyonce) intermittent with weep-worthy ballads(Adele).
You should be listened to, really listened to. You don’t need advice or judgment: you just need to be heard. When you’ve let it all out, take time to inquire about others. Derive hope from their bliss, borrow joy from their blessings.
You should ask your ex for 30 days of silence: Do not contact me unless I contact you. If you love me, you’ll let me go. It’s good they’re oceans away on nights alone when you return to an empty home. It’s better they started going to the same therapist you had. Take the tiny rainbows.
You should get tested for an STD and be relieved you don’t have one. When your ex says they “only kissed”, you should trust science.
You should make a list of what you want to accomplish this year. Cross out “girlfriend” and replace it with GOALS.
Write them down: silly to serious, ridiculous to realistic, right now to retirement. Mix ’em up with links. Go!
Here and Now
- Prepare to apply for a Nat Geo-Fulbright blogging fellow on Elephant Conservation. Must watch wildlife documentaries: Virunga, The Ivory Game and Tyke.
- Buy a beginner’s Canon DSLR camera. Develop photojournalism skills. (Booked Workshop April 9 Woot!)
- Learn to surf (Busan Mellow Surf May 5! )
- Grow as a teacher (Feel terrible when parents complain you’ve fallen behind with homework. Work your ass off to make it up. Communicate too much homework kills creativity. Feel ecstatic when your bosses decide to lighten the workload)
- Repeat “I can handle it” to yourself when the noonsday demon claws against your chest. Louis Hay affirmations. Sleep to this night meditation. Wake up with Jennifer Aniston’s yogi.
- Be abstinent for 6 months, exactly ½ the length of your last relationship. Detachment from desire can lead to enlightenment. Sexual liberation is onyx, but true intimacy is gold.
- From traveling to picking your nose, learn how to be happy alone.
A Flexible Future
- Teach adults in Thailand (need a break from the kiddies)
- Volunteer with elephant sanctuaries all over SE Asia
- Exploring Master’s Programs: TESOL/Education/Photojournalism. Must be affordable. NYC Teaching Fellows, MIIS, or Europe might be the way to go. Refuse to go into debt. Beware of cash cows.
- Teach in The Middle East (Masters required)
- Volunteer for Marine Conservation and learn how to dive.
- Volunteer at an Ayahuasca retreat center in Ecuador(your friend is the director yaaaaas!)
- Visit the Galapagos (your friend teaches there woohoo!)
- Invent a vibrator that transforms into a Justin Trudeau body pillow.
Remember: gratitude is the key to happiness.
Dear reader, whomever you are, wherever you are, I am grateful to you. I wish you love. I wish you purpose. I wish you the courage to never stop fighting for good.
To discovering beauty in a cup of tea,